Managed by Glyndŵr Innovations Ltd, a subsidiary of Wrexham Glyndŵr University, the OpTIC has a proven track record in providing technology companies the best start in life. The great facilities and a community spirit make this the place to start a new venture.
Studies have found that starting your business in an incubation centre gives you a greater chance of success than going it alone.
The centre offers new companies and start-up enterprises engaging in high tech or R&D projects a unique environment to develop and grow their business. This includes access to number of resources such as the use of reception services meeting rooms and conference facilities, allowing them to concentrate on their project or development.
Support for companies includes access to technical services including clean rooms, laboratories and specialist equipment, as well as the chance to engage with the on-site engineering team who can assist with design, metrology and systems integration.
Other support can come from the management team for business support, who will help with access to funding schemes, financial assistance and academic support
The site currently hosts a number of Companies and University’s including teams from Swansea University and Wrexham Glyndŵr University. These teams are working in specialist areas including Biotechnology, Solar Energy, Ultra-Precision Surfaces and Space related R&D.
OpTIC is host to two internal teams:
The Precision Optical Systems Group
This small group offers complete design and fabrication services for precision and complex optical systems including optical telescopes and instrumentation.
Other areas of expertise include the fabrication of large or complex optical components up to 1.8m in diameter including large mirrors and lenses.
The production and verification of optical components and systems are supported by engineering and metrology teams working in a dedicated manufacturing facility and fully equipped laboratories.
Engineering capability includes optical, mechanical and opto-mechanical design and analysis using a wide range of advanced CAD software packages.
The Centre for Photonics Expertise
CPE is a £5.7M ERDF / WEFO funded project developing academic and industrial collaborative partnerships The project is a partnership between four Welsh academic partners (Wrexham Glyndwr University, Aberystwyth University, University of South Wales and Bangor University. All academic partners work together to support the industrial partners and work to provide photonics based technical solutions to businesses in the West Wales and Valleys region with their manufacturing processes and their potential product innovations through the application of photonics technology.
The CPE program offers:
- Business development and academic support and advice on how CPE can support businesses to achieve product or process developments through photonics expertise currently existing in partner universities
- Utilising current research expertise in the wide range of Photonics technologies developed within Wales
- Investments include £1.2M production scale vacuum coating research facility unique in the UK
- Academic support and dedicated resource for the development of Photonic Technology based solutions for Welsh companies across all sectors
- Truly collaborative research project informed by industrial partners across ALL sectors utilising existing academic capability and capacity
- Has made significant capital resource to deliver what companies need to develop their next generation of products and processes
CPE operates in partnership with Aberystwyth University, Bangor University, The University of South Wales and Wrexham Glyndŵr University.