IBERS is a centre for internationally renowned research and teaching excellence. Their potent mixture of basic, strategic and applied research from genes and molecules to organisms and the environment enables them to tackle the big global challenges.
"The Institute of Biological, Environmental and Rural Sciences (IBERS) is an internationally-recognised research and teaching centre providing a unique base for research in response to global challenges such as sustainable agriculture & healthy food, climate change adaptation & mitigation, interconnected animal & human health and exploring and conserving biodiversity.
IBERS' scientists conduct research on genes and molecules, whole organisms and the environment.."
Clients & Projects:
Work within IBERS receives funding from UKRI (BBSRC, NERC, EPSRC, Innovate UK), Welsh Government, and industry. It is also involved in international collaborative grants including the Global Challenge Research Fund, Newton and European Union Horizon 2020 and Interreg programmes. IBERS research is focused on a number of interrelated areas:
- Sustainable grassland agriculture
- Phenomic science & controlled environment agriculture
- Plant breeding for the future
- Diet and health
- Greenhouse gas reduction in livestock agriculture
- Crops for sustainable energy and materials
- Natural resources and the circular economy
- Marine environmental impacts and remedies
- Parasitology and helminth control
- Bovine TB, disease and control
- Epidemiology and disease evolution
- Conservation and management strategies
- Stabilization and remediation of ecosystems
- Ecosystem members and their interactions